Write an Advocacy Letter addressing unemployment
In order to help resolve the social issue, you must take action. Identify your elected representative(s) and find their contact and e-mail addresses.
Write an advocacy letter regarding the piece of legislation and your support of or opposition to it.
The purpose of an advocacy letter is to support or oppose the legislation that affects a social issue of concern to you. This letter is a way for representatives to stay in touch with the constituents they represent. The letter consists of a brief introduction identifying and addressing the social issue of concern (through personal experience, if applicable), an identification of the piece of current legislation that addresses your chosen issue, and your request advocating your representative to support or oppose the legislation.
Be sure to address the following in your letter:
- Identify the purpose of your letter.
- Identify House bill (HR) or Senate bill (S) number of the legislation.
- Briefly summarize the social problem or issue.
- Explain the importance of the legislation as it relates to your issue.
- Advocate for or against the legislation in a knowledgeable and respectful tone. This includes the following:
- Evaluating the proposed impact of the legislation on target population
- Proposing possible ways the legislation can influence the social problem or issue
Download and review samples of advocacy letters. Use either of the sample letters as a template for your own letter.
NEED THIS IN 15 HOURS