For this assignment, you will visit a cultural venue from the instructions below, talk with someone at the venue, and write a short 500-800 word report about your visit.
The purpose of this assignment is to introduce you to the process of engaging with the cultural venues and communities in your locality. This will inform you personally of art in your area and groups that support it.
This assignment will help you practice the following skills that will be useful to you in your professional and personal life beyond school.
- Identify local cultural venues and inform you with deeper knowledge about the art form chosen.
- Organize reflections about engaging with a cultural experience and community
- Use concepts and skills learned in class to describe and interpret cultural experiences and communities
- Use appropriate and proper grammar, organization, and academic-style formatting in order to communicate
This assignment will help you become familiar with the following important content knowledge in the Humanities.
- Available local cultural venues and communities
- Methods of interpretation within the Humanities
For your report, attend one venue from this list.
- art museum or sculpture garden
- significant or notable architectural site (if there is explanatory material there to help you understand it)
- music concert
- dance performance
- other displays, museums, or performances may be acceptable. Check with your instructor for approval beforehand.
Restrictions: The experience should be done in person during the current semester. If this is impossible, contact the instructor to arrange for alternatives. You may not report on a cultural experience from prior to this class.
Write a report after your attendance at the event or visit to a site.
Your report should include the following information. Include photos or links that help convey the information. As always, be sure to document all sources you consult in preparing your work. This includes brochures from the site or websites that informed you about the particular venue you visited.